Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blogging Day 1: Garden notes

It's supposed to be clear but windy again today. At least it's to be a Northwesterly, so it will be carrying cool moist air from the Pacific, a few miles to the west. We're supposed to get an offshore flow later this week--if so, I've got my fingers crossed= no wind. Offshores mean hot dry air from the desert West's Great Basin, and they mean trouble to all the new tender foliage exposed at this time of Spring.

This morning I spent a lovely hour out in the veg garden which Keith built me. Seven raised beds built of reclaimed windfall Monterey Cypress from a local harvester; it will be a challenge to get them all looking vibrant with growth. It's just me and the cat (Ms. Tuckie Paws) and she doesn't eat veggies, so I'll likely add more flowers this year to fill in. What to plant?

Lately, I've fallen back in love with zinnias and bearded iris. Since we moved to this location in the summer fog belt about 20 years ago, I gave up on them due to problems with mildew and snails, respectively. Grew them years ago when I lived in a hot & dry summer climate, and they were fool proof (isn't that right, teejay?) But last year I tried both, and they did fairly well. So this year I'll plant them from 6-packs (Clearwater Color of Los Osos) and from seed (Botanical Interests). Couldn't resist the purple and lime green combo, but also all the pinks and yellows. The soil in the raised beds is finally warm enough to direct seed, so will check the Planting by the Moon guide and plant accordingly. (coming up on a new moon). Till then, more weeding.

3 comments: